Tel. 01695 767778

A-Z of Useful External Links


Action on Elder Abuse

This organisation works to protect and prevent the abuse of vulnerable older adults.

Age UK

Age UK, which provides information and advice to older people and also to their relatives.

Action on Hearing Loss

Action on Hearing Loss offers a range of services for people who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Alzheimer’s Society

This society works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in the United Kingdom.


British Deaf Association

The British Deaf Association is the largest organisation of Deaf people in the UK that is run by Deaf people. It is a high profile national charity with a local presence throughout the UK.

British Red Cross

The British Red Cross provides valuable short-term support to vulnerable people in the UK, whether they're recovering from an operation, need a wheelchair or just need help coping about the house.



CareAware is a non-profit making public information and advisory service specialising in the issues relating to long-term care for older people.

Citizens Advice Bureau

This service helps people resolve legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice.

Carers UK

Carers UK is a charity set up to help the millions of people who care for family or friends. They offer advice, information and support for carers.

Counsel and Care

Counsel and Care is a national charity working with older people, their families and carers to get the best care and support.


Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

The DWP promotes opportunities and independence for all, helps individuals achieve their potential through employment and aims to end poverty in all its forms.


DIAL is a network of approximately 120 local disability information and advice services. It provides the Disability Information and Advice Line, which is run by and for disabled people.

Department of Health

The Department of Health website offers health and social care policy information, and guidance and publications for NHS and social care professionals.

Disability Rights UK

RADAR is the UK's largest disability campaigning network and is led by people with lived experience of disability or health conditions.


FirstStop Care Advice

FirstStop Advice is an independent, free service offering advice and information for older people, their families and carers about housing and care options in later life.

Frontotemporal Dementia Support Group

For carers of frontotemporal dementia: Pick's Disease, Frontal Lobe Degeneration, Dementia with Lewy Bodies, Corticobasal Degeneration and Alcohol-Related Dementia.


The website is the best place to find government services and information.



Mencap is the leading voice of learning disability. They support people with a learning disability, and their families and carers.


Mesothelioma is a type of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos. The Mesothelioma Group supports people with mesothelioma, as well as providing information about the disease and its treatment.


National Centre for Independent Living

The National Centre for Independent Living website provides resources on independent living, direct payments and individual budgets for disabled people and others working in the field who may find it useful.


The Patients Association

The Patients Association is an independent charity that works with the Government and a broad range of individuals and organisations to develop better, and more responsive, health services.

The Princess Royal Trust for Carers

The Princess Royal Trust for Carers provides information, advice, discussion and support for carers.


Relatives & Residents Association 

The R&RA is a national charity that supports older people in residential care and their family and friends. They provide people with guidance and information that can help them make confident and informed choices about their care.

Rethink Mental Illness

Rethink Mental Illness offers advice, information and support to people affected by mental illness, their families, carers and friends.


Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) is the UK's leading charity offering information, support and advice to almost two million people with sight loss.


Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE)

SCIE is a charity that works to improve the lives of people using care services by sharing what works well in the sector. The institute publishes information about how to choose care services on its Find Me Good Care website.


Which? Elderly Care

Which? Elderly Care gives free, independent and practical advice about caring for older people across the UK. This includes dealing with common concerns, options for housing and residential care and how these may be financed.

Royal Voluntary Service

The Royal Voluntary Service (formerly the WRVS) volunteers deliver personal and practical support to help older people and raise awareness of the issues older people face through their campaigns and research.

“All of the staff are caring, professional and treat clients respectfully and as individuals. They excel in their drive to provide the highest level of care whilst allowing a homely, intimate atmosphere to prevail. As a family, we are delighted that Abbey Wood Lodge opened in time to provide this excellent care for our relative and would have no hesitation in recommending it to others.”